Ice Cream for gluten-free ice cream cones!

Ahh...remember those days.
We are breaking triple digit records like a baseball player on steroids.    I don't know about you, but when sweat drips from my brow, I don't want anything else but double scoops of cool and creamy, dairy-free ice cream topped on a sugar cone, even if summer passed and fall is suppose to be here. 

But alas, cones are a no-no on a gluten-free diet.  There is as much gluten as there is sugar in a typical cone recipe.  As if mocking me, there are displays of cones near the ice cream section at local grocery stores.  If only there was a gluten-free ice cream cone.  If companies can make GF cookies or bread, then by all means they can create a simple ice cream cone, for goodness sakes!

And they have.  As I explored the internet I found two companies who specialized in manufacturing GF cones.  Goldbaums, a Brooklyn, NY based company provides six different selections of cones, from classic sugar cone to unique chocolate cones.  Their cones are slightly sweet with a durable base to the last lick.  I personally favor the waffle bowl.  How can you not like a bowl you can eat at the end?

And more locally,there is the natural, vegan  Let's Do®...Gluten Free Ice Cream Cones, found at my Scottsdale Whole Foods, which I recently purchased because I was out of the NY kind.  (Another reason why I want to live in NY).

When I first opened up the box of sugar cones, I heavily scooped my ice cream on the rice-based cone and savored every lick until I reached the cone.  In silence a crunched into the crispy cone and entered into a moment of the dog days of summer in my childhood (before I found out the ill-fated gluten intolerance).

Okay, it might have a subtle aftertaste that reminds me it's gluten-free, but eating ice cream cones is more of a nostalgic feeling than an actual hunger suppression.  And just that moment, that single moment,  I was in a peaceful world uninterrupted by food allergies and strict limitations. 

Which company would I chose?  Since Let's Do®...Gluten Free Ice Cream Cones is as easy as shopping for my Almond Ice Dream Pralines and Cream at Whole Foods, I choose theirs. And plus the company has fun sprinkles to decorate my already delicious dessert.  Why not go all the way, right?

Resources:
http://glutenfreeandfrugal.com/

 http://www.examiner.com/glutenfree-food-in-scottsdale/heather-demeritte

http://wholefoodsmarket.com/storesbeta/raintree/

http://goldbaums.com/

http://www.edwardandsons.com/ldo_info.itml

2 comments:

Nancy said...

I love Edward & Sons Let's Do Sprinklez, so I am excited to learn they also make gluten-free cones! They will be perfect with my favorite dairy- and gluten-free ice cream: So Delicious coconut milk cookie dough flavor!

Heather said...

It's summer again, and I am daily nourishing my ice cream cravings with these ice cream cones that have been in my pantry for nearly a year, and they are still just as good!